Feb 26, 2006 - Changes completed - for now...

Feb 24, 2006 - Changing my Template! Bear with me. This is a work in Progress!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TexasT's tagged with modelrailroading. Make your own badge here.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

It ain't the years, It's the mileage. I was raised a military brat, and wanderlust still comes over me every 3 or 4 years. Still love to travel.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Project: Test Track: Tunnel Portal – Weekend of November 19

I had decided to install a tunnel portal in the end of my test track. This also turned out to be a test, as I had never used a tunnel portal on a layout before. The last layout I constructed was a cookie cutter type and did not include any underground track. Working with foam board was a new experience as well.

Before ShavingI had sandwiched 3 pieces of foam board together, secured by good old Elmer’s Glue All. I clamped the assembly together and let it dry overnight. I tried cutting or slicing the foam to shape. This particular attempt didn’t really provide the results I was after. It was just plain fugly. I could not seem to get the contour I was after for that area. So I cut to fit the space and glued together three more pieces of foam board and set them aside to dry.

I had heard in various places about a tool that could be used for shaping foam made by Stanley. I had seen what this tool was capable of at Gordon Bliss’ layout, All The Way With Santa Fe! His huge layout (Takes up the space of a 2 car garage and them some!) makes extensive use of foam.

I had to make a trip to the local Home Depot for some hollow wall anchors to re-mount a CD or Video cabinet in the den. My son (I wasn’t at home at the time) had the bright idea before the non-event (for us, anyway) of Hurricane Rita to pull both the cabinets off the wall and cart them upstairs along with the CD’s and Video’s. His mother, the Queen, endorsed this little project. Fortunately, for all involved, the task of getting even one of them off the wall proved to be more of an effort that either of them were willing to expend energy on at the time. I had used sheetrock screws to secure the cases at the time of installation and miracle of miracles, had hit a stud behind the top bracket. When the bottom screws were removed the top one had held. Now, however since I was going to have to re-do the work, the screws in the bottom bracket, of course would no longer bite as the holes had become somewhat enlarged when they were removed. Hence the trip to the hardware store for molly screws…

SurFormWhile I was at the hardware store, I decided to check out these tools. There are at least (just manufactured by Stanley, alone) half a dozen varieties of the Stanley Surform tool. The tools look like some kind of rasp. I picked a small one out that retails for under six bucks. Since I was unsure of the capabilities of the thing I also picked up a spare blade. For this particular tool the replacement blade (?) for lack of a better term, cost about three bucks.


What a difference! As you pull the tool over the foam, it shaves a layer off. It is kind of messy. But you are shaving foam after all. Depending on how much pressure is used you can shave a lot or a little off. In no time at all I had pretty much the shape I thought should be there. Cool stuff! I definitely, can now recommend Foam as a building medium for layouts. Check out these results.

After Shaving

Comments on "Project: Test Track: Tunnel Portal – Weekend of November 19"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, November 22, 2005 2:02:00 PM) : 

Hi T

The tunnel looks good, and I would call it a rasp as well! I don't really think you were trying with the foam though - check this out for real workmanship in foam! http://www.modeltracks.co.uk/smallworld/polymess.htm
Best wishes,
Jules

 

post a comment