Feb 26, 2006 - Changes completed - for now...

Feb 24, 2006 - Changing my Template! Bear with me. This is a work in Progress!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TexasT's tagged with modelrailroading. Make your own badge here.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

It ain't the years, It's the mileage. I was raised a military brat, and wanderlust still comes over me every 3 or 4 years. Still love to travel.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Project: Code 55 Test Track - Whotta Difference a Day Makes

I am going to post some pictures of the layouts I've seen in the last couple of weeks- haven't had any time to get it all together.

Yesterday I got the rear and right side fascia almost completed
- No pictures - It's a mess yet. May not EVER be pictures of that part. It has become apparent I need to invest in some decent $aw$. Not this pay period, though...

Click pictures for a bigger view.



Decided to definitely scenick this project. It was up in the air - I mean after all this is only a test track. But every thing else about this project has been a test, so why not test myself some more.



Got Permascene? I do. But I don't think I have enough for a full size layout, so I'm using it on this project.

Permascene
is this wonderful stuff made by a company named Perma-Craft. I haven't heard anything about that company for a while so I suppose it's possible they went out of business. Can't find any real reference on the web, either.




What a difference spreading this stuff around makes!
Sure takes the shine off. Seems to cover pinkboard just fine too...




2005_1107 test track0007Before...




TestTrack0008

....and after.







TestTrack0010I had the tinting kit too, but whatever was in the jars had solidified and I presume are no good. I haven't pitched them yet, but they are close to the trash can. So I'll just paint everything. I may try adding some water to one of the jars...Just for grins.
TestTrack0003The material itself always reminded me of Vermiculite. I see in the latest issue of Model Railroader, Lou Sassi used fine vermiculite as a substitute for Permascene for his "Ground Goop" recipe, so I presume they are very similar.

TestTrack0008So I mixed a batch just to make sure it was still viable. And it seemed to be doing it's thing as I spread it around. Before I knew it I was out and so went to the kitchen sink and mixed another container. Back out to the garage, where it became quickly apparent I had put in too much water (permascene should have the consistency of thick oatmeal for most applications). No problem though, just add another teaspoon and as Goldilocks said, it was just right.





TestTrack0009I found a tunnel portal in one of my myriad boxes of supplies and decided to add it just for fun! Check it out!

TestTrack0004





Sure beats the hell out of the gaping hole I constructed on the end.

Comments on "Project: Code 55 Test Track - Whotta Difference a Day Makes"

 

post a comment