Feb 26, 2006 - Changes completed - for now...

Feb 24, 2006 - Changing my Template! Bear with me. This is a work in Progress!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TexasT's tagged with modelrailroading. Make your own badge here.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

It ain't the years, It's the mileage. I was raised a military brat, and wanderlust still comes over me every 3 or 4 years. Still love to travel.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

World's Greatest Hobby Show Loot!

I worked for George of Wig-Wag-Trains on Friday before the show and Sunday after. As they said on their web page, the work wasn't too hard, but it was mindless. Pretty much for the crew that was helping them anyway.

We (Houston as a whole) didn't do much for 'em. I think they took way too much stock home. However, I think I can now recommend Wig Wag for your Nscale needs. They had about the best pricing I've seen. Pricing sure beats the hell out of our local guys (on most things). And they ain't bad either.

Have to tell George if he gets any additional H-town biz, he owes me a finders fee...

Doggone shame though about the locals. I mean I understand about overhead and shit, but damn, Wig Wag is Brick and Mortar too!

These guys brought more stuff than the locals stock.

Okay so, stepping down off the soapbox now...



Let's get to the good stuff.



Picked up an Atlas MoPac Standard Caboose, (Did MOPAC have any Standard Cabeese? Not from what I've seen) that will be a basis for a good kitbash, but not until after I ruin an old ConRail hack I've had around here for years for practice. It's got rapido couplers, but some pretty good low profile (plastic) wheelsets that seem to roll very freely on my test track. Didn't get a decent picture of the thing tonight, so that will just have to wait. Besides it's just a new caboose. Whoop-ty-doo!



Next wanger was an 11,000 gallon tank car (Atlas) lettered for Shell Chemical. SHPX1612. Now I dunno if the Big Clam ever used this car (couldn't find a reference for it by googling it, but that doesn't matter), but those of you that know me, know I like the Shell stuff. Dunno why...HaHa! This beauty has low profile wheels, again very freewheeling, and Accumate couplers. Not quite Micro Trains, but still very cool. Paint is real nice too. This car came in 2 road numbers and I meant to pick the other one up Sunday from Wig Wag. But by the time I remembered all the Atlas was packed up. Here's a quick pic:

11KGal Tank SCC 1


But the real deal, was a new Atlas MP15, painted in UP Armour Yellow and gray, but lettered for Missouri Pacific. Runs Great, too. Creeps along at low power. Detail is nice with accumate couplers. Take a look at this brute:
MP15 DC 2

I hear Atlas will be producing 2 in Jenks Blue in the next run. Sweet! These are some fine machines.


That's my haul.


In other modeling news - I spent some time this weekend playing with some of Radio Shack's Rare Earth Magnets. I'll be using those for uncoupling. Man, are they strong!


And Cheap too! But that's my next post...



Adios!

Comments on "World's Greatest Hobby Show Loot!"

 

post a comment