Feb 26, 2006 - Changes completed - for now...

Feb 24, 2006 - Changing my Template! Bear with me. This is a work in Progress!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from TexasT's tagged with modelrailroading. Make your own badge here.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

It ain't the years, It's the mileage. I was raised a military brat, and wanderlust still comes over me every 3 or 4 years. Still love to travel.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Lessons Learned - The Hard Way, Naturally Part 2

(This is a large post)

I wanted to test my rolling stock and locos on code55 rail. Been designing a test track with XTrkCad. Remember I'd bought some track. I'd designed a few things.
First there was...Test1
Then there was...Test2
And thirdly there was...Test3


I was also asking questions on the Model Railroader forums. Also a site called NScale.org (They got hacked pretty bad and moved to MyNScale.com). And the Nscale forums on Trainboard.com. Some of the folks probably thought I was some kind of idiot.

Having taken a hiatus from the hobby for a number of years I decided to Use the KISS principle:

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

With that in mind, I came up with this design:
Test Track Plan
It is 3-1/2" X 68-3/4"

What is the deal with lumber sizes? When they sell you a 1X4, why can't it be 1X4?
I came up with this design because:

  1. I want to test my skills, but not too heavily(!)
  2. I have the materials on hand.
  3. It is as simple as it gets.


So I cut my pink board to fit (so I thought - Ha Ha!) my length of plank. Can a 1X4 be a plank? Semantics...You figure it out. Any way I bonded the stuff to my plank.

And it fits - Almost (sigh). So what is the lesson learned here you might ask.

Well, after studying my two sets of printouts from the CAD program last night. On the way home from work this evening, it dawned on me...


Why didn't I glue the freakin' track plan to the pinkboard BEFORE I cut it?!? (sigh)

I must really be out of practice. (sigh) Apparently my brain needs some exercise.

So now I've got 3 choices:
  1. Try and scrape the pinkboard off my existing piece of 1 by and do it right. I used Liquid Nails so this may not be an option.
  2. Go get a new piece of wood and trash the other.
  3. Keep going...
crap!

Oh and by the way, thanks Guppyman! You've lead me down another technological gardenpath - Blogrolling - neat stuff. I had heard of it. Just never investigated. Put a roll on Sound Off by Texas T's

Comments on "Lessons Learned - The Hard Way, Naturally Part 2"

 

Blogger guppyman said ... (Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:45:00 AM) : 

Another great message board you may want to check out is The Gauge... http://www.the-gauge.com/

I just had issues with lumber sizes myself while building a bench.... I forgot that a 1x6 isn't 6 inches.... oops.

 

post a comment